Featured Numbers:

Buy Now

Buy Now

Buy Now

Buy Now

Buy Now

Buy Now

Buy Now

Connect with us:

0% APR Finance now available!

Pay monthly for your New Reg - 0% APR finance with no deposit means you can get your New Reg with no up-front cost!*
* 0% APR Finance available on select plates only. Subject to credit approval.

Learn More

TIP: Try searching for names, jobs, hobbies, initials etc.

Search by Digits

Simply enter how many digits, letters or numbers, that you would like on your private registration to see a list that meets your needs.

This method of searching is great for potential Investors looking for a cherished dateless plate at low-cost.

Choose Prefix and Number

Choose 3 Letters

Prefix Number Plates

Prefix number plates are one of the most recognisable and impacting styles of vehicle registrations. Introduced in '83, prefix number plates start with a letter representing the year of the registration.

Choose 3 Letters

Suffix Registration Plates

Suffix style registration plates, introduced in 1963, contain 3 letters, 2/3 numbers and a last letter to indicate the year the vehicle was registered, starting from "A" being 1963, "B" being 1964, and so on.

If you'd like a suffix registration, simply use our suffix plate builder for instant results that come with an unbeatable price tag.

Choose Prefix and Year

Choose 3 Letters

Current Style Registrations

Current/New Style Registrations are the most recent types of Number Plates. They were first introduced in 2001.

General FAQ'S

General FAQ's

  1. I have seen my own registration number being offered for sale and do not recall giving authority, why is it listed?

    In addition to selling thousands of our own stock items we also hold public commissions and the stock and commissions of many other dealers throughout the UK. Occasionally, records are miss-typed and appear as an alternative combination that is in fact not for sale. Also, there are circumstances where a recently acquired mark is still on our database due to the fact that the donor has failed to advise us of the sale and subsequent non-availability. If you have recently noted that your mark is listed and wish to provide us with further information or wish us to remove it from the website, please send an email to errors@newreg.com and specify the registration mark with the validation character for confirmation.

  2. Display of registration numbers

    Number plates (also known as licence plates) should show your vehicle registration number correctly. You can’t rearrange letters or numbers, or alter them so that they are hard to read. You could be fined up to £1,000 and your car will fail its MOT test if you drive with incorrectly displayed number plates.

  3. What is a registration number and who has entitlement to it?

    Registration numbers are not items of property in their own right. They are assigned, and may be withdrawn, by the Secretary of State as part of the basic registration and licensing process which is required by law. The registration number is a unique means of identifying a vehicle, primarily for taxation and law enforcement purposes. It is assigned to the vehicle, rather than its keeper, and unless it is transferred or retained the registration number normally remains with the vehicle until it is broken up, destroyed or sent permanently out of the country.

    An individual acquires entitlement to a registration number when he or she becomes the registered keeper of the vehicle which carries the number. When the vehicle changes hands, entitlement to its registration number will automatically pass with the vehicle to the new keeper unless use is made of the special facilities which have been designed to allow motorists to acquire and retain particular registration numbers. Namely, the Cherished Transfer, Retention and Sale of Marks schemes.

  4. Where can I buy a special registration number?

    Right here! www.newreg.com

  5. What do I get for my money when I buy a previously unissued mark?

    Registration numbers are not items of property so you cannot buy legal title to them. What you pay for is the assignment right to the particular number. The sale involves a legally binding contract between the Secretary of State and the purchaser for an agreed price. The purchaser is granted the right to assign the number to a vehicle registered in his/her own name, or that of his/her nominee where applicable, within a 10 year period. The assignment right is granted to the purchaser alone and it is non-transferable - the nominee has no rights to the number.

    In addition to the agreed sale price, an assignment fee (currently £80.00) is payable at the time of purchase. Buyers are issued with a V750 Certificate of Entitlement, valid for 10 years, which records details of the registration number, the purchaser and nominee details that where supplied at the time of purchase.

    The DVLA documents explain what you need to do when you are ready to have the number assigned. Numbers can only be assigned to vehicles which are subject to testing and are currently licensed or are being licensed at the time of assignment.

    REMEMBER: A nominee has no rights under the sales agreement - the assignment right is granted to the purchaser only and cannot be transferred.

    Only the purchaser can apply to have the number assigned, and it can only be assigned to a vehicle registered to the purchaser, or to the nominee shown on the Certificate of Entitlement.

    Once you have assigned the number to your, or your nominee's, vehicle you have fully exercised your rights under the terms of your contract with the Secretary of State. After assignment, entitlement to the number comes through being the keeper of the vehicle which has received it.

    Please note that if the number is being assigned to a vehicle which is already registered, its existing number will become void unless an application to transfer or retain that number is made at the same time.

  6. How do I get a specific number released if it has never been issued?

    In short there are no guarantees of getting any registration number issued that does not exist. Some marks are not issued because they are considered offensive, others just never made it to issue.

  7. How can I safeguard my entitlement to a number?

    Entitlement to a number is effectively the right of the registered keeper of a vehicle to apply to have the number transferred to another vehicle (either his own or someone else's). The keeper is also entitled to apply to have the number of his vehicle put on retention, that is to say take the number off the vehicle and put it on hold pending re-assignment to another vehicle. It is important to note that the keeper may apply, but the application will only be granted if all the conditions relating to the retention and transfer facilities are satisfied. You can help to safeguard your entitlement, therefore, by ensuring that your vehicle is able to meet these conditions.

    If you no longer have the vehicle which properly displays the number (i.e. it is in someone else's keepership or has been scrapped, broken up, destroyed or exported) then your entitlement to the number ceases.

  8. What if my vehicle is stolen and not recovered?

    If your vehicle is stolen and has not been recovered after a year you can apply to have its registration mark re-assigned to your replacement vehicle providing certain conditions are met:

    • You must have told the police.
    • The theft must have been on DVLA records for at least 12 months (the police should tell DVLA for you) but for no more than 3 years.
    • The vehicle must have had a valid MOT certificate when it was stolen.
    • The vehicle must have had up to date vehicle tax when it was stolen.
    • Your insurers must provide a letter for DVLA saying they are happy with the number being re-issued.

    You must then write a letter to DVLA Personalised Registrations including your name, address and the vehicle registration number.

  9. What if my vehicle is 'written off'?

    A write-off happens when a damaged vehicle is judged by insurers to be beyond economic repair. In such a case, the insurance company agrees a pay-out with the insured, and legal ownership of the vehicle then passes to the insurance company. The company is then free to sell the vehicle as salvage and the purchaser may repair it and put it back on the road.

  10. What if my vehicle has been scrapped?

    Scrapping occurs when a vehicle, whether an insurance write-off or not, is broken up for spares or otherwise destroyed. Once a vehicle ceases to exist its registration number is cancelled.

    If your vehicle has been scrapped, you will not be able to transfer its registration number.

    The person who actually breaks up or destroys the vehicle must notify the governing bodies that the vehicle has been scrapped and return the V5C to the DVLA.

  11. Are there any special rules for motorcycles / mopeds?

    No, all motorcycles (including mopeds) can participate freely, provided the normal requirements of the number transfer facility are met.

  12. What if my assignment / retention documents are due to expire and I do not have a receiving vehicle for the number?

    IMPORTANT : There is no obligation on the DVLA or New Reg to send you a reminder. It is your responsibility to know when your rights are due to expire and it is up to you to either assign the number or apply for an extension before this happens. Your rights will be lost if you act too late.

  13. Can I add or change nominee details on my certificate of entitlement / retention document?

    These details can be added to or changed later for an administration charge of £29.40 payable to New Reg. Certificate of Entitlements and Retention Certificates MUST have a minimum of 30 days left prior to the expiry date.

  14. What if I decide that I no longer want the number?

    You do not have to assign the number if you do not wish to; you can simply allow your assignment / retention rights to expire. You need take no further action unless you paid the (£80.00) assignment fee when you acquired the rights; in this case you can apply to DVLA for a refund of this fee - your Certificate of Entitlement or Retention Document tells you how.

  15. What happens to my registration number if I export my vehicle?

    You are legally obliged to notify the governing bodies if you are taking your vehicle abroad for more than 12 months. More information on this can be found at www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk/for-12-months-or-more.

  16. I have an old vehicle which is not registered at DVLA. Can I register the vehicle and transfer or retain its registration number?

    It is possible for the vehicle to be registered by the governing bodies but you will not be able to transfer or retain its number.

    If you are able to supply documentary evidence (e.g. the old-style log book) to establish a link between the vehicle and the registration number, you should be able to register the vehicle under that number. If you do not have documentary evidence, or you do not know the vehicle's registration number, the vehicle may still be registered but in this case a number appropriate to its age will be assigned by the governing bodies. If the age or origin of the vehicle cannot be established, then the governing bodies may register the vehicle under a ‘Q’ number. Whatever the circumstances, however, the vehicle's registration number will be non-transferable. This arrangement helps to safeguard entitlement by removing the incentive there would otherwise be for spurious claims to attractive old registration numbers.

  17. My vehicle has a ‘Q’ prefix registration number. Can it participate in the transfer and retention schemes?

    Vehicles are assigned ‘Q’ prefix registration numbers to draw attention to the fact that their origins or age are uncertain. ‘Q’ numbers are therefore non-transferable and must remain with the vehicle unless documentary evidence which confirms its origins / age comes to light. In this case, the evidence should be sent to the DVLA who may then assign a replacement age-related number to the vehicle.

  18. My V5C says my registration number is non-transferable. Can I transfer a cherished number onto my vehicle?

    Although you cannot transfer or retain a non-transferable number, the vehicle can receive a registration number providing the non-transferable number is not a ‘Q’ mark and providing the vehicle meets the normal conditions of the Cherished Transfer, Retention and Sale of Marks schemes.

  19. I have seen Northern Ireland registration numbers advertised. Can I transfer one onto my vehicle?

    Yes, providing the donor and recipient vehicles are registered at the DVLA.

  20. I have an old style log book / registration document but the vehicle no longer exists. Can I claim the registration number?

    Once a vehicle has ceased to exist, entitlement to its number also ceases. Possession of a log book or registration document alone does not give entitlement to a registration number. If a vehicle has been scrapped, you are required by law to notify the Secretary of State and return the registration document to the DVLA.

Featured Private Number Plates


Buy Now:

Buy Now:
54 XON

Buy Now:
HUS 541N

Buy Now:

Buy Now:

Buy Now:
UA 1

Buy Now:
80 XER

Buy Now:

1 month ago

It was so easy to follow on the website…
It was so easy to follow on the website and from purchase of the new registration to informing DVLC to receiving the new plates everything was smoothly done by New Reg.

2 months ago

Thank you all
Thank you all, very nice staff communication was good no long waits all straight forward procudure. So helpfull before and after sale. Will recommend. Thank you once again for helping me with all my questions answered.

2 months ago

Great Service, really pleased
The plate was on a couple of sites and was cheaper with NewReg. The whole process went smoothly and I was really pleased with the service. I had to phone with a query which delayed it a bit but that was down to me having a personal plate already on...

2 months ago

Great service…
Overall the service was very quick and the process was easy enough. This being my first purchase, I would use NewReg again for any future purchases.

2 weeks ago

Great company for New Reg plates!
New Reg were recommended to me as l had no idea where to start. From my initial enquiry with them, through to completion of sale, they were very helpful, efficient and gave great customer service. Would definitely recommend to others!

1 month ago

This was my second time using them and…
This was my second time using them and as with the first the service was fantastic. From purchase to completion was far quicker than I could have hoped for and I cannot recommend them enough. I’ll definitely be using them again for any future...

Our Accreditations and/or Partners

NewReg.co.uk - The UK's most trusted private number plate supplier.

New Reg Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (No. 626225).

Back to Top